What makes a Good Learner and a Good Teacher – just a few of the ideas from our Year 3 children
We are always keen to hear your views. we take the things you tell us both when we talk to you and when you fill in your questionnaires very seriously. When you filled in your pupil questionnaire last year, these are some of the things you asked us to do and what we have put in place following this:
- Several Year 2 and 3 children asked for flowers in the playground, Mrs Brown now runs a gardening club as part of her nurture programme and these children look after the planters in the playground and make sure there are flowers in them.
- Several Year 2 children asked for new carpet – we had new carpets throughout the school last year but we had them all shampooed following this comment as we realised they were looking a little tired and we have now bought new door mats for the doorways so that children can wipe their feet and keep their classroom carpets clean.
- A Year 2 child asked for a new whiteboard – this was bought and installed during the Summer holidays so Year 2 now have a Promethean board like the rest of the school.
- Children throughout the school asked for Playground Equipment – this was bought and we now employ an additional Dining Room Assistant for two days to help you use this equipment correctly.
- A Year 4 child asked that we learn more about World Religions – we have always incorporated this into our assemblies at festival times but we are now trying to ensure this is incorporated into R.E. lessons also and have increased the number of books in our school library on World Religions so that children can borrow these to learn more.
- A Year 4 child asked that children were allowed to borrow books – we updated class libraries at the end of last year and there is now a wide range of books in every class library which children can borrow.
- Several Year 5 children asked that we offer free Music lessons – we now offer Guitar, Flute, Violin and Fife tuition, Sing Up after school and at least one Live music performance each year. All this is funded by school so free to the children.
- Year 5 children wanted more drama work – we are now adapting the curriculum to focus on learning needs and so have been able to build drama into this as it is a great way of helping children learn.
- Several Year 6 children wanted a bigger playground – although we cannot extend the playground, we have staggered lunchtime which means there is more space in the playground now.
- Several Year 6 children wanted a change of activities for After School Clubs – we now change our sports activities after school each half term so that we cater for all interests.
- A Year 6 child wanted a longer school day – although we cannot officially extend the school day, we now allow children into school earlier so that they can start their activities at 8.45am.
- A Year 6 child said ‘school should be stricter on children taking days off’ – we have always been very against children taking days off but our policy now is even stricter with telephone calls made to parents at 9.30 each morning if their child is not in school and fines issued if children take holidays in school time.
- A Year 6 child said it was ‘a bit unfair when TA’s give some children a large amount of help and others get none’ – when teachers plan now they ensure that all children are learning and this means that TA’s are not always working with the same group of children, they are targetting children with a specific learning need that lesson.
- A Year 6 child wanted more teachers on break duty – Miss Watkins our Health Mentor now goes out on the playground alongside the two Teachers and the Teaching Assistant who are already out there.
We cannot always do what you ask, but we always listen and do our best to act if we can. please keep telling us your thoughts and opinions on how to make our school ‘even better’.